Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Post #2 - Music Ethnography Proposal

With the Lunar New Year approaching, I think I would like to explore the local Dallas Vietnamese music culture. Heavily influenced by the Chinese, the Vietnamese have adopted a lot of similarities, but still kept their own distinct touch to their culture. The Lunar or Chinese New Year, or Tet in Vietnamese, has always been a big deal in my household. My mom would put up the red decorations, the fruits for offerings, and the "hoa mai" tree, all while playing the characteristically cheerful, and optimistic music about the coming spring.

Dallas, as one of the largest metropolitan cities of the US, has a substantial amount of Vietnamese citizens which I believe is only growing. Many local Vietnamese Buddhist temples at this time throw huge celebrations complete with dragon dances, traditional foods, and many other various performances.


I have always thought that the dragon dance's percussion music was readily recognizable. Once we hear those drums, my sisters and I would know to turn our attention over to the lion dancers. I'm also aware that there are various singing contests at these celebrations, and karaoke is also an activity that most folks are fond of.
My friend has invited me to his temple for the Tet festivities this February. The air is sure to be buzzing and lively with the happy and bright music to welcome the new year. I am anticipating a lot of good food, music and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment