Monday, February 8, 2010

Extra Credit #1- Cultural Exchange

The Student Art Troupe from UIBE were really kind to give us a sampling of their upcoming show.

I was glad to hear there would be Peking opera. One student demonstrated the pitch difference in a female and male opera singer's voice. Growing up, I've been familiar with the Vietnamese version of Chinese opera, and I've always been intrigued by the makeup, costumes, and especially the battles that they perform.

When we were asked about music in the USA, I noticed that our class seemed to be more biased towards the rock genre, which may skew the Chinese students' perspectives. However, the main speaker did bring up Lady Gaga, so I think they are relatively aware already of the "popular" music culture in America. One female student brought up jazz and the appeal of its improvisation.

On the topic of folk music, none of us could really provide a concrete example, since our music is so blended and mixed. I liked how one student put it, that because America is so diverse, the folk music could actually be considered to come from each individual's place of origin. In contrast, China with its numerous and various ethnic groups has an array of folk music. The Chinese students even obliged us with a song on the guitar. I also agree that it had characteristics very similar to a song that could be popular in the US. It was very lively and upbeat. One female Chinese student also sang us a very pretty folksy song, which reminded me of old (dubbed) Chinese ancient dramas I used to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment